The Incredible Holts

The Incredible Holts
copyright@ Rejli Photography

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Eve traditions...

Every Christmas Eve we have the same tradition. I am usually finishing up on some last minute gifts, wrapping, and of course doing our annual bake off. Katherine and Jes come over every year and we have a Christmas movie marathon and we bake cookies, pies, banana bread, fudge, peanut brittle, peanut clusters, and what every our hearts desire. We have been doing this now for 8 years. We probably only have a few more years left because Katherine is 16. She will be in college, getting married, and doing her own thing. I hope we can still continue our traditions.



I love Christmas Eve more than Christmas day. I have time to really think about the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of our savior. I read "God bless your way" to the kids. It is a Christmas Journey in another person's perspective. I really liked it, but I think it kind of confused Marley.

I am so thankful that I can share with my kids the true meaning of Christmas. With this year's added stress, it was really difficult getting into the Christmas spirit. My Aunt Lara told me to buy the movie "It's a Wonderful Life." I made the kids watch it with me. That helped me find the other meaning of Christmas, a time to think of others instead of myself. It was my grandmother's favorite movie. I talked to the kids and we added to our tradition. We gave each child 10 dollars. They had to pick a name and go to the store to buy for their person. It was a lot of fun since we made them keep it a secret of who they picked. I am not sure if it worked, but maybe as they get older they will understand.

My kids all took their turns being sick the week of Christmas. Marley wrote a letter to Santa and she ask for her health and to be well for Christmas day. She ran a temperature all day Christmas Eve. She did feel better on Christmas day, so I guess there is a Santa, not that I ever questioned it.

Today is Sunday and I stayed home from church. I guess it is my turn to have the flu. I am a little irritated because I really wanted to take down my Christmas trees. They are still up and it makes me really sad. But I feel like crap, excuse the language there just isn't a better word that I can think of at the moment. I get really nervous and suffer from anxiety after Christmas and on New Year's day. I am not sure why, I just worry about what the next year is going to bring. I just keep reminding myself that I need to control what I can and the rest just give to my Heavenly Father. Hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas and has a safe New Year.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Misty.....I just have to say how much I enjoy yours and Sherry's blogs. They are so inspiring!!! Both of you are such great writers and have such an insight....I love it!! And I really loved this one about 'traditions' we too have a few traditions that I love. And I know how you feel about this anxiety between Christmas and New Years....What's up with that?!?!? I feel it every year. This past year we have so much to be thankful for....I too became an aunt for the first time. What a feeling that is?!?!? I just love that little adorable guy. And next year....my oldest is starting high school and my baby will be starting kindergarten!! I'm not looking forward to the first week of August.
This week also feels a little different, since we can't go camping this year. I have to watch Tristan and our trailer's fridge has a recall on it...and after everything that happened last year. It would just be our luck, it would catch on fire! So I am not sure what we are doing for the New Year, we haven't had to think about it for 8 years now.
Anyway...I'm going on and on...I guess I should get my own blog. Just wanted to also let you know that The Kramers are very proud of you and Colby. And you will have a great 2009!!!

Edna Guerrero said...

You always seem to amaze me! I am super proud to be your amiga! You are wonderful mother and wife.. don't know how Colby got so dang lucky! I watch It's a Wonderful Life several times per year... it's one of my favorites. I remember the first time Ande watched it, (I had to force her) but in the end she really liked it. Don't let anxiety get the best of you. Everything will fall into place as it always does.

Sherry Stark said...

Hey - kind of freaked me out a little about only having a few more years of the annual
bake-a-thon with Katherine & Jes. Are you kidding me? Katherine will be dragging her husband and kids over - I don't see her ever giving that tradition up! She loves it and so does Jes - AND he loved the movie :)
I've already sent my prayers out for an awesome 2009 - So, no worries - you're covered.
I love you - Aunt Sher