The Incredible Holts

The Incredible Holts
copyright@ Rejli Photography

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas memories

I started this post over a week ago, but hesitated to post it. Before I go into all of my family Christmas memories, I would first like to express my gratitude for my brother Jesus Christ. He is the reason we celebrate Christmas, and it was the miracle of his birth and life that the world comes together and celebrates on this day.

My cousin Sharon gave me the challenge to blog my favorite Christmas memory. At first I thought, "Well, I don't really have a favorite." But after some deep thinking, I started to recall a lot of fun and happy memories. Here our my top five favorite Christmases and if I do this correctly I might add in some video:)

#5. "The Drill" Growing up my parents had very little money, but some how some way we always had a great Christmas. My Dad would always buy my mom something and the same with my mom. Well I guess my dad had been wanting this drill that cost $80 and my mom told him that she wouldn't buy it. We didn't have a lot of money, and 80 dollars in the late 80's was definitely a lot of money. Anyway, my Dad thought he was a real comedian when he decided to buy my mom the drill. I am sure all the ladies that are reading this took a deep breath because we all know that this is mean and cruel. Anyway it is all on video and so the memory has been captured forever.

#4. "There is a Santa!" I posted this memory on my cousins blog, but I still would like to share it. All of my aunts had 2 kids, one boy and one girl. This was the same for my mom, except my mom was the only one that had her girl first. So if you haven't figured it out yet, the only cousins I had my age were boys! Anyway, it was probably Christmas of 1988, we were all outside Aunt Marsha's house, this was the usual spot for Christmas Eve. Jason, Josh and Mickey were convincing me that there wasn't a Santa. I remember looking in the Arizona sky wishing that I could see a sign to prove to these three boys that there was a Santa and that I was right! I can still remember their taunts of how "dumb" I was. The magic of believing is so a great feeling, a feeling that I still try to capture every year.

#3. "She's actually coming for Christmas?" Christmas of 1994 was a magical year. I was 15 and as my Christmas present my mom was sending for my cousin Margaret to come out from Kansas to spend the Holidays. It was one of the greatest Christmases with some of the greatest moments captured on video! We decided to make a music video, of course I would be the singer :) Anyway, we put on a performance that has gone down in Christmas history as "The Pretty Little Dolly" Christmas. And let me just add that "on the back if you turn the key, she goes through puberty." Love you Margarita!

#2. "Doing good" Christmas of 2005 was a year of miracles. I was in on a big secret in my ward, I don't want to go into details but this was a magical Christmas, the spirit of giving is just a magnificent feeling.

#1. "The Red Dress" If you have never heard of the Red Dress, well I don't have all day to explain it, but I will try to write some cliff notes:
It all started with:
Some rotten oatmeal cookies
Velvet Red Dress that was worn TOO many times
Mrs. Doubtfire and T'was the night before Christmas
A very Scary heart attack
A family that won't let things go

It all ended up with:
An open heart surgery
A Hospital that will never be the same
A heart shaped pillow made from the Velvet Read Dress
13 years of memories that will never be forgotten.


You are probably wondering where are the Christmases are from the years of me being married. Well they are special too, however now that I am an adult Christmas sometimes carries lots of stress and work. I am trying to create the same great memories and feelings that my mom and dad created for Kenny and me.

We have made lots of special memories with our kids, Ofc Holt and I. We have lots of traditions we do every year. This year, our routine on Christmas morning is going to be quite different. Some of our traditions are going to have to change some. Ofc. Holt works on Christmas from 5am to 3pm which is basically the whole day. I have already shed the tears, so I have accepted the idea. Anyway, I am trying really hard to make this year as special as all the others without the presence of my husband. I love my kids and the memories I am still creating each year with them.

3 comments:

Sherry Stark said...

Awesome post Misty - Loving the fact that the red dress made the top 5! Merry Christmas - love you,
Aunt Sher

Sherry Stark said...

cliff note #2 -
The dress may have seen her last days - but the BLOUSE is here to stay :) Seriously, I think it turned out so nice I just might wear it to the next Christmas party.

Edna Guerrero said...

Aunt Sherry.. PLEASE.. don't ever wear that blouse again! ha ha.
Misty.. although I was not there for "The Pretty Little Dolly" Christmas, I feel like I was, because I saw that video SO many times! Loved it! I absolutly LOVE Christmas with your family!