The Incredible Holts

The Incredible Holts
copyright@ Rejli Photography

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Passing up Pom Poms...

Okay, I had to really think about this blog and couldn't decide whether or not I should post it. Of course we all know that Michael Jackson died June 25th, and if this is news to you, well I guess you have been living under a rock. Watching all of the news coverage of his death really gave me a chance to think and reflect on Michael. I have a story that I would like to share... when I was a little girl my parents didn't have a lot of money. Getting something from the store was very rare. Sometimes my mom would buy me some paper dolls or a Sunkist soda if I were lucky. But there is one occastion I remember so clear in my mind. I had to be in Kindergarten. My dad, mom, and my cousin Angie went to Smitty's. For those of you who are new to Laveen or South Phoenix, Smitty's was the only grocery store and it was located on Central and Baseline. Smitty's was the "one stop shop". They had everything, groceries, movie rentals, candy shop, toys, and of course records. I can't remember what I did that was so special, but I was able to pick something out, something big! I can clearly remember standing there holding the Michael Jackson Thriller album and staring at the red and white pom poms hanging on the shelf. I had to choose. I couldn't make up my mind, but I passed up the Pom Poms and my parents bought "the album".




I remember going home and listening to "wanna be started something" over and over. I don't think that I really liked "thriller" because it was scary, but I cherished that album. It was on a shelf right next to my record player. I also wore one white glove that I got from the parade. I seriously had issues :() Later came the We are the World record that was added to my collection. This has always been a childhood memory for some reason, I am not sure, but my memories of Michael don't end there.

My brother was a Michael fan too. He can still do that famous move and spin... he was really good at it. For entertainment (because there weren't video games, internet, or DirecTV) I would beg my brother to dance to Billy Jean. I would just sit back and laugh. Those were some really good days for me and Michael... I am not sure what happened to the Michael Jackson that captured a 5 year old little girl's heart, but he definitely had some charisma.


What ever happened, I am sure we will never know or understand.


However, I am understanding that Michael Jackson was the King of Pop, or like Barry Gordy said, "The Greatest Entertainer that ever lived."


I guess Michael, in death, can still capture a little girl's heart with his talent.

3 comments:

Edna Guerrero said...

Oh what memories.. I liked Michael Jackson back when he was black. Not that it's bad to be white.. but he wasn't creepy when he was black. ha ha.. I also totally remember my mom buying paper dolls for me from Yellow Front. ha ha...

Sherry Stark said...

I, too, loved the BLACK Michael - he was a much cuter black boy than he was a white girl.....

Gardner Family said...

You haven't posted in quite some time.

Hmmm....you must be back in
school. Hope it's going well.